If you like bread and butter pudding, you'll love this Easter version. A great way to use up leftover hot cross buns.
4-8 hot cross buns
6 eggs (2 whole and 4 egg yolks)
100g caster sugar
300ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
Optional - sultanas, orange zest, dried apricots, chocolate chips
1. Butter the hot cross buns and spread liberally with marmalade. Cut into quarters and set aside.
2. For the custard, add the egg yolks, whole eggs and sugar and whisk together in a bowl.
3. Place the milk, cream and vanilla essence in a saucepan and simmer.
4. Pour the milk and cream onto the egg mixture and whisk together thoroughly.
5. Put a layer of the hot cross buns in to a dish and sprinkle with sultanas (you can add anything else you like here, chocolate chips, orange zest etc)
6. Continue with the layers, finishing with a top layer of hot cross buns.
7. Pour the custard over the buns and leave to stand for at least 20 minutes.
8. Place the dish into a deep roasting tray and half-fill the tray with hot water. Cover with foil.
9. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the custard has set. Remove the foil for the last 5 minutes of cooking to brown the top. Once coked, the pudding will have a slight crust on top but will still be slightly wobbly inside.
10. Great served with more custard, ice cream, cream or mascarpone.